There are two PhD pathways to consider: i-students and a-students.
Indian nationals and international applicants (with citizenship other than Australia), will be considered for admission as i-students. i-students will spend their first year of study at IITD before completing one year (or more) at UQ. They would then complete the remainder of their studies at IITD.
Australian domestic students will be considered for admission as a-students. a-students will spend their first year of study at UQ before completing one year (or more) at IITD.
Applicants must meet the following requirements for consideration for entry into the joint PhD program.
Minimum qualifications for I-Students
Minimum qualifications for A-Students
English language proficiency requirements
UQIDAR has a wide range of research projects available. When applications open, you can search for available projects here. You can apply for up to two projects in each application round.
To apply, you are required to submit an online application via UQ’s Online Application system. You will be asked to upload the following compulsory supporting documents when you submit your online application.
- Statement of Purpose (SOP): Fill out one SOP for each project you are applying for. In each of your SOPs remember to fill out, respond to the essential capabilities, desirable capabilities and expected qualifications of the project descriptions (in Section 9) of the projects you are interested in.
- Academic CV
- Award/Degree certificates for all completed post-secondary study, including the institution logo and date awarded. If you have not received a copy of your certificate at the time of application, please provide an official letter from your institution stating that you have met award requirements.
- Academic transcript or consolidated mark sheets for all post-secondary study undertaken, complete or incomplete, including the institution, program, results for every course studied, grading scale, institution logo and date.
- Evidence for meeting English language proficiency requirements. If you have completed an English language test within two years of the commencement date of the UQIDAR PhD Program, please upload your test results. • Contact details for at least two referees from persons who can best comment on your prior research experience. UQ will contact your referees directly, but you will need to enter their details into the application form.
- Scanned copies of all competitive entrance tests that you have undertaken including in JEE, GATE, UGC-NET, CSIR, ICAR, ICMR, DST-INSPIRE, GRE etc.
- Other documentation, originals or certified copies, may be required depending on your individual circumstances
Please upload and save documents using the following naming convention: Last name_first name_document type. For example:
If any of your documentation is in a language other than English, UQIDAR will require a copy of the original language document and an officially translated copy. Internationally, one of UQ’s International Educational Representatives may be able to help you organise document translation and certification Please note, scanned documentation should meet the following criteria:
- All pages of the document have been scanned before they are submitted. If the original has information on both sides, ensure you scan back and front. Many academic transcripts have information on the reverse side including grading scales which we may need to see.
- Scanned documents can be uploaded in the following formats: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, pdf, zip and the basic Microsoft Office file formats.
- The total file size of all documents combined must be no larger than 25.0MB. If you need to upload larger files, contact us.
- All pages (back and front) of your academic transcript and your award certificate must be certified.
Uploading additional documents
If you need to upload additional documents after submitting your application, you can submit another document on the ‘Additional Documents’ page, which you can find by selecting your application under ‘Submitted Applications’ and then selecting ‘Additional Documents’. You do not need to email UQIDAR to say that you have uploaded more documents as the system automatically alerts us to your new documents.
Please apply online using these application instructions. Please note, we are not able to consider applications submitted after the deadline and we reserve the right to consider complete applications only.
What happens next?
Your application will then be shortlisted based on your eligibility, your background and your Statement of Purpose documents.
All shortlisted applicants will undergo:
- A skype or telephone interview with supervisors from UQ and IITD for the projects you have been shortlisted. Based on this interview with relevant supervisors, you will be invited to an interview.
- The interview will consist of a written test, which will include an assessment of ability to critically assess a research paper.
- The process will also include an interview with the Academy Joint Admissions Sub-committee (AJAS).
When will I know if my application is successful?
You can expect to hear the outcome of your application in line with these application timelines.