Check your eligibility to ascertain if you are eligible to apply. Candidates enrolled in the UQIDAR joint PhD program will be located at either the IIT Delhi or UQ campus. There are two PhD pathways to consider:
- i-student: PhD program commence at IITD, 2nd year of PhD at UQ
- a-student: PhD program commence at UQ, 2nd year of PhD at IITD
- Applicants who have completed their qualifying degree in India will be considered for admission as i-students.
- Applicants who have completed their qualifying degree in Australia will be considered for admission as a-students.
- International applicants (with citizenship other than India and Australia) may apply for admission as i-students, according to specified criteria (see below minimum qualifications for i-students).
- a-student projects will only be available for Australian domestic students.
- Meet English Language Requirements
You can search for available projects here.
Available projects will be advertised at the start of each application round.
Choose up to two projects, complete a Statement of Purpose (SOP) form for each project, and list in order of preference in your application.
The following documents are required to support your application:
- Statement of Purpose (SOP) – Fill out one SOP for each project you are applying for. In each of your SOPs remember to fill out, respond to the Essential Capabilities, Desirable Capabilities and Expected Qualifications of the project descriptions (in Section 9) of the projects you are interested in.
- Academic CV
- Award certificates for all completed post-secondary study, including the institution logo and date awarded. If you have not received a copy of your certificate at the time of application, please provide an official letter from your institution stating that you have met award requirements.
- Academic transcript for all post-secondary study undertaken, complete or incomplete, including the institution grading scale, institution logo and date. Please note, mark sheets are not considered to be official academic transcripts.
- Evidence for meeting English language proficiency requirements. Even if your qualifying degree was in English, if you have completed an English language test within 2 years of the commencement date of the UQIDAR PhD Program please upload your test results.
- Contact details for two referees from persons who can best comment on your prior research experience. UQ will contact your referees directly, but you will need to enter their details into the application form.
- Scanned copies of all competitive entrance tests that you have undertaken including in JEE, GATE, UGC-NET, CSIR, ICAR, ICMR, DST-INSPIRE, GRE etc.
- Other documentation, originals or certified copies, may be required depending on your individual circumstances
- Note down and remember to include “Agent ID Code = XIDR” when you apply. Use this code even if you are not using an agent to submit your application.
Please upload and save documents using the following naming convention: Last name_first name_document type. For example:
If any of your documentation is in a language other than English, UQIDAR will require a copy of the original language document and an officially translated copy. Internationally, one of UQ’s International Educational Representatives may be able to help you organise document translation and certification Please note, scanned documentation should meet the following criteria:
- All pages of the document have been scanned before they are submitted. If the original has information on both sides, ensure you scan back and front. Many academic transcripts have information on the reverse side including grading scales which we may need to see.
- Scanned documents can be uploaded in the following formats: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, pdf, zip and the basic Microsoft Office file formats.
- The total file size of all documents combined must be no larger than 25.0MB. If you need to upload larger files, contact us.
- All pages (back and front) of your academic transcript and your award certificate must be certified.
If you need to upload additional documents after submitting your application, you can submit another document on the ‘Additional Documents’ page, which you can find by selecting your application under ‘Submitted Applications’ and then selecting ‘Additional Documents’. You do not need to email UQIDAR to say that you have uploaded more documents as the system automatically alerts us to your new documents.
Please apply online using these application instructions.
Note down and remember to include “Agent ID Code = XIDR” when you apply. Use this code even if you are not using an agent to submit your application. Your application will then be shortlisted based on your eligibility, your background and your Statement of Purpose documents.
Please note, UQIDAR reserves the right to consider complete applications only. We are not able to consider applications submitted after the deadline.
What happens next?
All shortlisted applicants will undergo:
- A skype or telephone interview with supervisors from UQ and IITD for the projects you have been shortlisted. Based on this interview with relevant supervisors, you will be invited to an interview.
- The interview will consist of a written test, which will include an assessment of ability to critically assess a research paper.
- The process will also include an interview with the Academy Joint Admissions Sub-committee (AJAS).
When will I know if my application is successful?
You can expect to hear the outcome of your application in line with these application timelines.